Saturday, March 5, 2011

Google and social, go together?

So here's one experience I've just had - and an insight into why it's sometimes said Google doesn't get social.

Social is about conversation and interaction - here's something I can do for you, would you mind doing this for me?


So here's why - the first comment on this blog, 3 months ago. Discovered by me just because I decided to go back and see what I was writing on this humble weblog, see what I was thinking.

Now Blogger has the option to turn on comment notification email. But if I'm not Engadget, Gizmodo, Dvorak, i.e. someone or something that can afford a real hosting / blogging / content management solution, this is the kind of thing I'd like to know about!

Basically this "Comment Notification Email" box, buried at the bottom of Settings > Comments, should have had the email address I signed up with. It's not spam if its a real person behind the scenes (and the link that's not a link and contains the Session ID and a blog behind it is a clear example of that =). And it's easy enough to link back to these settings in such an email so if the user decides it is spam - they have the option to turn it off.
Google - time to listen to dear leader turned advisor and think a little less engineering and a little more social. We'll like you more for it, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment